SEO copywriting tip: what’s a title tag and why is it important?
The title tag is part of the meta tags that appear at the top of your HTML inside the <head> area.
The title tag for the Purple Chameleon Communications homepage within the HTML looks like this:-
<title>Copywriting Services | Copywriter Melbourne | Marketing Communications</title>
The above title tag will appear in the same format within the browser bar of your search engine and also within the search engine results (SERPS).
A title tag is like the chapter of a book – it tells people and search engines what your page is about. And because every chapter in a book needs a title to help readers navigate the content, every page on a website needs the same. If you home page title tag is “Home” it isn’t telling visitors anything about the content on your page and also isn’t doing anything for your SEO.
Title tags are also part of what makes people decide whether to visit your site when it shows up in the search results. The title tag should contain important keywords to help the search engines determine what the page is about.
Because title tags are an important part of your SEO, you should spend time working on them to get them right.
Here are our top tips on how to write a title tag that will improve your ranking and attract more visits from search results:-
1. Relevance: the words you use must accurately describe the content on the page
2. Concise: keep the length short and sweet. Restrict the character limit to no more than 70 characters
3. Write compelling title tags as this will help attract more visits from search results
4. Include target keywords in the title tag, remembering to place the most important keywords towards the beginning. This also helps with ranking
5. Use pipes | to separate keywords
6. Write different title tags for each page on your website